Friday, August 17, 2012

What a trip!

And I mean that in both senses of the word (if you don't know the second meaning, good on ya!)

So, the journey began in Los Angeles. In order to get a work visa (as opposed to a tourist visa), one must visit a consulate before leaving. They are located in Los Angeles and New York. Since I'm near LA, it wasn't  a big deal to go there, because I would probably have to fly through there anyway.

The timing actually turned out perfectly, I have family down in that area, so I was able to spend good time with them, and my parents were actually at a conference and so they were able to send me off from the airport and everything.

The trip to the consulate was a mess, I'm not going to go into it, but it took two days, 4 trips there, and waking someone up at 2 am. In the end though, I got a two year visa with multiple entries, which is more than any of the other teachers (I'd like to think I charmed the guy, boosts my ego just a bit).

Waiting to board, we were late leaving LAX
I flew Turkish Airlines (which is supposedly the best airline in Europe, I was impressed in some aspects, but their flight attendants left a little to be desired in the personality department) from LAX to Istanbul, then Istanbul to Dhaka. 20 hours total on the plane. Even thinking about it makes me die a little inside. Crammed into such a small place for such a long time. Fortunately, I was able to upgrade on the first leg of the journey, from Economy to Comfort, which included a much better seat, better food, and tons more space. It was definitely worth every penny (and really, at $250, it's a bargain).

Delicious cod dinner, this is only one of the courses, there were 4.

They used a cute little clothesline clip for the napkin, man I wish I had taken it.

Istanbul to Dhaka, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare, considering I had to run to catch the plane (disappointing because I wanted to explore the airport a bit, I do love duty free in other countries). It was totally packed, but I fortunately had a window seat and an empty seat beside me, so I could spread out a bit (economy really doesn't have a ton of space).

Slightly less impressive dinner in Economy class, although anything that includes Vanilla Pannacotta can't be all that bad.
On arrival in Dhaka (at 5 am local time, I might mention, worst flight plan ever), I waited an hour and a half for them to unload all the luggage from the plane, and I only had one of the four bags I brought (and a carry-on). Fun times. I'm thinking that they didn't make that short connection, we'll see what happens.

Excuse the screen, but this is the view from my hotel room, love, right?!
So, now I'm here in Dhaka, all the teachers are staying at a hotel in town and we're going out to the school campus tomorrow. This afternoon we're taking a tour of old Dhaka, so hopefully lots of pictures.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I've been here all of 5 hours and I'm already in love.
Not in my room, in a common area, spotted a lizard. Awesome.

More to come.


  1. So glad that you got there safe and sound. A grand new adventure awaits. Can't wait to read all about it!

  2. It looks beautiful Emily! I hope that your bags get there soon. I'm so glad that you made it safely and can't wait to read more about your adventures. Miss you!!!!!

  3. Sounds like a fun start to an amazing adventure. I can't wait to read more!


Thanks for commenting!